Adjusting table spacing

If you use “Save and verify” instead of the normal “Save” after editing a table, the platform should adjust the width of your columns appropriately. But, sometimes the platform may not do what you want it to. For example, in the following example “Word” is a virtual column and, for whatever reason, “Save and verify” did not expand the width to accommodate the text in the column on the third row:

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 20.48.29

My solution was to add Japanese spaces to the title:

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 20.50.09

This produced the following:

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 20.51.10

You don’t need to be able to read Japanese to see that the text on the third row is now displayed comfortably.

I tried doing the same with ordinary spaces but to no avail.

This forum seems to be set up to convert Japanese spaces to English ones so I can’t share an example space here but you can find the unicode for Japanese spaces and text to copy here:

This is a temporary workaround, I fear. I hope AppSheet will give us more ways to control spacing in tables.

P.S. For more tips on how to work with tables, please see my “Working with table view” post:

12 Likes

Awesome! So simple! It’s like why didn’t I think of this before. This is a good workaround to help with column spacing. I find even with the “Wide” setting for column widths in tables, that columns do not reflect expected widths.

2 Likes

I’m glad this is useful to you. Perhaps you’ve dealt with the Japanese language before, but if not, I wouldn’t expect you to think of it. They are both “spaces” but the difference in character codes can lead to different behaviors. :wink:

2 Likes

This is truly Remarkable. Thank you. Will be taking away all my ugly
"~~~~~~~ Column ~~~~~~ "
Stuff. :). Thanks!

2 Likes

@Arthur_Rallu table column width is a general issue/plague.

5 Likes

Optionally: Feed appropriate length test data (3 or 4 rows) to the spreadsheet and then use a slice to filter them back out. This is more helpful for tables that start or are occasionally empty.

3 Likes

Thanks for flagging this @Grant_Stead.
It’s true that the column sizes are not always adequate. We’re currently working on enabling app users to change the width of these columns themselves. Stay tuned.
Thanks

9 Likes

Woot woot, so so so pumped for new tables that meet googles material design…

2 Likes

Awesome. Keep it up King Arthur!!

1 Like

Hopeful some change in the presentation of Yes/No type field on table view, which is another big long running pains with us when it comes to table view. …

I had a thought to solve this issue is that we get the base type setting for yes/no type column. And we are able to set it to REF type. And we simple create one table, key value, true , false. Then we have label field. If true, then we show はい, else いいえ。
Yes/no type fields keep capturing true/false value, but it will be presented to user as text as we define in label.

Difficult implementation?

4 Likes

HI @Kirk_Masden I think you can use all other whitespace characters as well. I was doing that in this example:

Please also scroll down to my post from May 11.

3 Likes

Thanks @Fabian ! I think I tested it with ordinary spaces and didn’t have any luck. I’m not sure why. But, it looks like AppSheet will give us more control anyway so it may be a moot point. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking forward to this feature!
Column sizing is definitely a challenge currently.
Would be great if appsheet also consider a a horizontal freeze pan feature to freeze x columns from left to right.

Have an idea to setup a formula to freeze x number of columns from left to right when app detects i am in browser.