Adjusting table spacing

If you use “Save and verify” instead of the normal “Save” after editing a table, the platform should adjust the width of your columns appropriately. But, sometimes the platform may not do what you want it to. For example, in the following example “Word” is a virtual column and, for whatever reason, “Save and verify” did not expand the width to accommodate the text in the column on the third row:

3X_5_d_5df405268d3972ca82e7a9669bdbf5779ede900a.png

My solution was to add Japanese spaces to the title:

3X_4_a_4aa2fc2ec91525ea4f928b4a03dfb67eb388b273.png

This produced the following:

3X_f_3_f3545242b1aa5cbb5093cd3857b7d3a64c1cb7b9.png

You don’t need to be able to read Japanese to see that the text on the third row is now displayed comfortably.

I tried doing the same with ordinary spaces but to no avail.

This forum seems to be set up to convert Japanese spaces to English ones so I can’t share an example space here but you can find the unicode for Japanese spaces and text to copy here:

This is a temporary workaround, I fear. I hope AppSheet will give us more ways to control spacing in tables.

P.S. For more tips on how to work with tables, please see my “Working with table view” post:

15 14 1,575
  • UX
14 REPLIES 14

Awesome! So simple! It’s like why didn’t I think of this before. This is a good workaround to help with column spacing. I find even with the “Wide” setting for column widths in tables, that columns do not reflect expected widths.

I’m glad this is useful to you. Perhaps you’ve dealt with the Japanese language before, but if not, I wouldn’t expect you to think of it. They are both “spaces” but the difference in character codes can lead to different behaviors.

This is truly Remarkable. Thank you. Will be taking away all my ugly
"~~~~~~~ Column ~~~~~~ "
Stuff. :). Thanks!

@Arthur_Rallu table column width is a general issue/plague.

Thanks for flagging this @Grant_Stead.
It’s true that the column sizes are not always adequate. We’re currently working on enabling app users to change the width of these columns themselves. Stay tuned.
Thanks

Woot woot, so so so pumped for new tables that meet googles material design…

Awesome. Keep it up King Arthur!!

Hopeful some change in the presentation of Yes/No type field on table view, which is another big long running pains with us when it comes to table view. …

I had a thought to solve this issue is that we get the base type setting for yes/no type column. And we are able to set it to REF type. And we simple create one table, key value, true , false. Then we have label field. If true, then we show はい, else いいえ。
Yes/no type fields keep capturing true/false value, but it will be presented to user as text as we define in label.

Difficult implementation?

Looking forward to this feature!
Column sizing is definitely a challenge currently.
Would be great if appsheet also consider a a horizontal freeze pan feature to freeze x columns from left to right.

Have an idea to setup a formula to freeze x number of columns from left to right when app detects i am in browser.

Bahbus

Optionally: Feed appropriate length test data (3 or 4 rows) to the spreadsheet and then use a slice to filter them back out. This is more helpful for tables that start or are occasionally empty.

HI @Kirk_Masden I think you can use all other whitespace characters as well. I was doing that in this example:

Please also scroll down to my post from May 11.

Thanks @Fabian ! I think I tested it with ordinary spaces and didn’t have any luck. I’m not sure why. But, it looks like AppSheet will give us more control anyway so it may be a moot point.

That’s a great tip. I was using underline, but its quite ugly. For some reason now its harder than before to control spacing. I guess they made some changes to table responsiveness.

I usually use zoom out (70%) and the columns would adjust to full width. Now they remain the same narrow size as 100%, leaving a huge unused blank space on the right.

Bookmarked, thank you for this tip !

Top Labels in this Space