August 9, 2021

Deployment Time: 02:00 PM PST

Features & enhancements

Item Description
Feature Ability to set custom margins for PDF attachments for the Create a New File task.

This feature is similar to the custom margin feature released previously for email attachments. Top and bottom margins set in the template only affect the top of the first page, and the bottom of the last page, not each page in the resulting PDF. Custom margins specified here will apply to every generated page.

Note: This will not affect those accounts on the old PDF renderer. Almost all accounts are on the new one, with the rest migrating over soon.

Deployed to all.

Feature Show currently applied filter values on wide screens (desktops/tablets).

While using in-app filtering on wide screens, you can now see the

values that are currently being filtered in the filter bar chips. Deployed to all.

Bug fixes

None.

Rollout changes

Item Description
Feature Welcome Modal rollout

New: Deployed to 100% of free users, 60% premium

Previous: Deployed to 100% of free users, 30% premium

Feature New Home page

New: Deployed to 100% free users and 60% premium

Previous: Deployed to 100% free users and 30% premium

Preview announcements

The AppSheet Preview program lets app creators try out new app features that are not yet fully supported. Learn how to participate in the AppSheet preview program for app client features.

• No new preview features were released today.

What's currently available in the Preview program?

Item Description
Feature Table view

Table View now supports freezing the first column while scrolling horizontally. For details, see Freezing the first Column of a Table View - in Preview Program.

Feature Chart Editor

App Creators can now make use of our new chart editor and the new and improved charts it can create. Learn more.

I bet you nobody know if or not we are on old (or new) PDF engine, on our account. How do we get to know???

But your last sentense is basicaly overwriting all ? “Deploy to all”

2 Likes

About 99% of the PDFs generated today are using the new renderer, there are only 17 accounts excluded.
The easiest way to see if your account is on new or old is if you see the controls for custom margins in the editor. If you do see the controls then your account is already using the new renderer.

Edit: We should be sending out some communication this week to the remaining account holders on PDF Rocket about when we’ll be transitioning those accounts.

1 Like

Hi @Greg_Denton

Thank you for your clarification. This is crystal clear to me.

Koichi

1 Like

What is the new “Welcome Modal”?

3 Likes

@Lucinda_Mason

In some circumstances a welcome modal is shown when you first launch the app editor. I’m not sure on the exact conditions it is shown, but I’ve seen it on some newer client accounts. Regardless, it appears to be geared towards people new to the platform.

5 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

I think it would be nice if AppSheet could set up glossary of terminology and update it regularly. Searching documentation doesn’t always work. If the glossary had links to documentation articles (when they exist) that would be even better but some terms, like this one, probably won’t get their own articles so there’s all the more need for a glossary. I get the impression that terms that AppSheet engineers use and become familiar with get used in feature release notes as though ordinary creators should be familiar with them. That’s understandable (the engineers have a lot to do and think about) but, obviously, ordinary creators like you and me wind up feeling puzzled quite frequently.

4 Likes

I assume it is this pop-up when you first create a new app:

3 Likes

When I first started writing documentation for AppSheet, the person I was working with drilled into me the need to tailor the docs to the “no-code” user, and to be consistent with the terminology. That person has since left the company, and my impression is there’s nobody really shepherding docs now.

4 Likes

If this were an democracy, I would vote for making everyone answerable to @Steve regarding documentation (and a lot of other stuff too, while we’re at it :slight_smile: ).

4 Likes

This is great feedback! We’ll try to be more consistent in the terminology used in the documentation. Adding a glossary of terms is a fantastic idea. Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions!

5 Likes