Best way to learn appsheet?

Hi, I’ve been using appsheet for a few months now and have gotten more comfortable with the platform, but I’ve been wondering if there is a better way to learn everything I need to know to be a pro. I’ve gone through the appsheet academy, and have been running through deep dive videos, taking notes and looking up things in the community as I have a question. The problem seems to be that I don’t always know the right questions to ask. Is there anyone who has a structured class or is there anything I could learn outside of appsheet (like a spreadsheets tutorial) that could help me achieve my goal? If there is anyone in community that has achieved learning all of appsheet with little or no initial knowledge that can tell me about the resources that helped them the most, I’d love to hear about it!
Thanks!
Jason

0 9 896
9 REPLIES 9

EIG

I do not know of an outside AppSheet tutorial but feel that AppSheet has done a very good job of providing training material. I think that there are 3 main areas that really have helped me (excluding learning how to white labeling apps). AppSheet’s Youtube channel, their sample apps, and the forums. This is just my opinion but I would focus on just creating apps to try things out or try to make a modified version of their sample apps that fits your needs. Reading the forums to see what other people are having problems with also helps. Even if you don’t provide a solution to their problem you can read the solutions that other people submit and learn from that.

As someone with 3years Appsheet experience, the only other option open to you is simply paying someone like me or another Appsheet partner to do just the bit your stuck on. Sometimes its better to pay $25 and get it done straight away rather than spending half a day on it. Thats what I did when I started. Even I have other devs who know more than me who I pay to get me out of a hole sometimes.

Simon@1minManager.com

Thanks for the input! I’ll keep at it!

I’ve found this forum to be my best source of information and guidance. I’m aware that AppSheet is concerned about improving documentation and learning tools, but I think there’s still a lot of work that needs to be done in that area.

Jason,
I’m somewhat of a newbie as well. Created my first app about a year ago which was very simple but satisfied the most pressing need I had at the time. Over the last year I’ve worked to further develop the idea of my app one “feature” at a time. All this to say that I am NOT AT ALL a natural with programming languages or app sheet expressions. However, with a lot of time invested (basically my new hobby) I’ve learned over time. Time is the key. It is a continual learning process. If you are like me, your appetite for implementing new app features will outpace your knowledge however I’ve found that if I am giving it my best effort the appsheet community and moderators are very helpful in stepping in to help solve an expression challenge. Make sure to thank them for their time. I would imagine many are volunteers and they don’t have to help. It is very kind of them.

I am not a natural so if that is how you feel, I understand. You’ll learn the way to ask and phrase questions over time.

A resource I’ve not seen mentioned is the QREW chrome addon here. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/qrew-tools/hklmffdokpefcfabkmkpjnkoakehigjg?hl=en-US You can use it to “snip” an expression and save it in your library which is really helpful.

Start with one small simple app and work on adding features one at a time.

I agree with your approach, You have to build up one step at a time, and time is the thing here.
I also struggle with the getting the expressions to do things I have in mind.

Cheers

Hi @App_Dev! Hi @Scott_Hall!

Your comments reminded me of something I wrote a while back:

If you click on the link, you’ll see that I was writing about the need for a sort of “AppSheet 101” series of lessons and/or links to such lessons on documentation pages. I think that sample apps and AppSheet Academy go a long way in this direction but a series of quick little lessons or examples of the sort that one can find for individual Google sheets formulas would be nice to have.

One other point I’d like to make is that “Tips & Tricks” can help you learn the platform, though the tips appear in the order in which that were posted or last commented on, not in a beginning to advanced sort of order.

Recently @JCadence has done some nice work posting in the “Tips & Tricks” category. One thing that I like about her recent posts is that they don’t assume that you’ve already mastered the basics of the AppSheet platform. Instead, they help you learn those basics.

In that regard, I like to engage in a bit of shameless self promotion by mentioning my own “Working with table view (Q & A)” post:

I have a few other posts in “Tips & Tricks” that I hope people will find useful. Many of them, however, I about solutions to rather unusual problems that I have confronted – not necessary what a beginner would want to start with.

Thanks! I’ll check out that add on!

Top Labels in this Space