Convert Timestamp (DateTime) to Date only in a Virtual Column

I have a virtual column that i need to give me the date (date only) for the date the form was completed. If I use Today() it will always be the current date correct? So what is the correct way to do this?

I have a timestamp column (DateTime). Is it possible to make the virtual column equal the timestamp column but converted to date only?

Solved Solved
0 10 4,334
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bahbus

DATE([TimestampColumn])

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Bahbus

DATE([TimestampColumn])

Works perfectly. Thank you very much!

Is there way i timestamp can return a date only without needing a virtual column?

Iโ€™m not sure I understand your question.

To generate a DateTime timestamp, use NOW().

To generate a Date timestamp, use TODAY().

To generate a Time timestamp, use TIMENOW().

To convert a DateTime value to a Date, use DATE().

See also:

Appologies for being a bit unclear.

I am using a ChangeTimestamp column type for column [Task Complete Date] where [Task Status] = โ€œTask Completeโ€

I was hoping to only return date format and not datetime format without using another virtual column to do so.

I donโ€™t believe thatโ€™s possible.

Mike_T

Added a virtual column: โ€œDate Display Removedโ€, in the formula I put if(ISBLANK([Display Removed]),โ€œActiveโ€,DATE([Display Removed])). Iโ€™ve designated the type of my VC to be Text, because if I use Date, it wonโ€™t show it.

Display Removed column is type Date, however it contains โ€œActiveโ€ by default until the user adds the date using an Action.

The VC is still showing the time even though the Display Removed column is of Type Date and the actual value in the cell is just a date mm/dd/yyyy format.

3X_8_6_86887866e78f942bb9a17aabefe1e31a2348e68a.png

In the expression above, the column name is [Display Removed] In the picture shared, there are columns by name [Date Display Installed] and [Date Display Removed]

Could you please mention, if [Display Removed] a third column or same as [Date Display Removed]

โ€œDisplay Removedโ€ column is the real column in the table. The value in the column is either โ€œActiveโ€ by default or a date that is updated using an action. Itโ€™s type is Date.

โ€œDate Display Removedโ€ is a virtual column Iโ€™ve added trying to show just the date of the โ€œDisplay Removedโ€ column using the formula above.

If I donโ€™t need the VC to just show the Date of the โ€œDisplay Removedโ€ column, Iโ€™m good with that. But because it has โ€œActiveโ€ as a value and is type Date, it wonโ€™t display correctly.

I believe the column type be text rather than date because the word"Active" is text type. So IF() has one argument of TEXT type and another DATE() type.

You could make the VC of text type and try the following expression

IF(ISBLANK([Display Removed]),โ€œActiveโ€, TEXT([Display Removed], โ€œMM/DD/YYYYโ€))

Or even below expression

IF(ISBLANK([Display Removed]), โ€œActiveโ€, TEXT([Display Removed]))

If you are using that VC in date calculations again, you could type cast it with date again such as DATE([Date Display Removed])

Top Labels in this Space