I've added a URL to a hosted KML file (< 5MB)...

(Robert Lerner) #1

I’ve added a URL to a hosted KML file (< 5MB) to my description of a LatLong column, but nothing is being displayed on my map. The file I’m linking to is the actual KML file - not the Zip file downloaded from the Census Bureau which contains several additional XML files. Should I be linking to the Zip file? Thank you.

UPDATE: I just tried linking to the Zip file, but still nothing displayed on the map. Other then setting the KML link in the column definition, is there something else that I need to do?

(Reza Raoofi) #2

How did you publish the KML file? Actually I tested it myself and tried sharing the downloaded KML file from Census Bureau in my Google Drive with Public Access and it did not work, but then I found a sample KML URL on the internet, and it worked in my App, so I think it should be on a website like sample URL below:

http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/KML_Samples.kml

Adding: @Peter

(Robert Lerner) #3

Reza, thank you SO much for your post - sorry for my slow response but for some reason I wasn’t notified of it. But in any case, your comment was tremendously helpful - I too had it show up in my app perfectly. I now have to figure out how to translate that to a specific host/service to use for my kml file. Again, your help is extremely appreciated.

(Robert Lerner) #4

Reza, sorry but in my excitement I did not answer your question. I had tried in on Google drive, Dropbox and various smaller file-host services. If I can find a host per your recommendation and get it to work, I will post it here.

(Robert Lerner) #5

UPDATE: This is so frustrating: I have the KML file on Google drive, set to public access to anyone with the link. The file on the drive displays perfectly on the Google maps website, as well as on a standalone KML map viewer pointing to my drive’s file. Yet nothing shows in my app using the link Google drive provided. I’m at my wits end and would really appreciate some help. Is it possibly as simple as a bug in AppSheet in not supporting Google drive in this usage?

(Robert Lerner) #6

UPDATE: I have posted this issue as a possible bug. Thanks again to everyone who tried to help.