Coulmn Width Query

Hi.

I have a table view as per screen shot below. Is there any way that I can maintain the column order but show the entire contents of โ€˜Product Descriptionโ€™?

Thanks.

0 12 885
  • UX
12 REPLIES 12

Sorry for the delay, Iโ€™m not sure this is currently possible. But if you can, please add a feature request and describe this and any similar desired behaviors. Thank you.

Hi @MauriceWhelan Just checking, do you have your columns set to โ€œWideโ€ ?

Hi @Lynn. I do yes. I did notice an older thread saying the โ€˜Save and Verifyโ€™ data option will help with this issue. Seems to have helped a bit alright.

Hi @MauriceWhelan Thats good. I think we still need a way to increase the width of some columns though.

Hi @MauriceWhelan!

I canโ€™t answer your question but Iโ€™d like to share the following โ€œTips & Tricksโ€ post I wrote because it discusses the need to use โ€œSave and verifyโ€ to adjust the width of columns:

You already know about it but I hope others who have not yet learned about what Save and verify does will find my post to be useful.

If a method of increasing the width becomes available, Iโ€™d like to add it to this Q&A post of mine.

Many thanks for this addition @Kirk_Masden

@MauriceWhelan Is the column โ€œProduct Descriptionโ€ of type Text, or LongText?

@Fabian. It is Text.

If you change it to LongText, you will see a little more text in table view.
And please donโ€™t forget to โ€œSave & verify dataโ€
Could you then please post an actual screenshot?

Hi @MauriceWhelan,

From the picture posted by you, it sounds that you are using tablet or fullscreen view to display the data. Also the product description column seems to follow a pattern rather than just a textual description.

In that case you may wish to explore following workaround. You could split the description on say โ€œxโ€ into two or three parts as required. You could then use two orthree VCs to display the description as below

thank you for the suggestions @Fabian & @Suvrutt_Gurjar.

Using the Save and Verify option has updated the view to the below screenshot, which is perfect.

I suspect that if you view this on a device with a narrow screen, your results will be different. I have found on my app that, when I have several โ€œlong textโ€ columns in a table, the one with the longest text becomes the default โ€œstretchโ€ column (my term) that continues to expand if I make the window on my browser bigger. This may be OK on a browser but it may not be of much help on a narrow screen. Therefore, I think we need better controls for the width of columns in tables:

Top Labels in this Space