Scanning QR Codes

Hi. I have 2 copies of the same QR Code that I need to scan. When I scan the black QR code it works instantaneously and returns the correct value every time but when I scan the white one it canโ€™t seem to scan it and one the odd occasion it does scan it populates the field with a bunch of numbers. I downloaded an external QR Code scanner which scans both and returns the correct value for both everytime without issue.

Is there anything you could maybe advise on as a possible issue?
Image attached)

Thanks.

0 14 1,120
14 REPLIES 14

@Gil Any thoughts?

Seems the appsheet default code scanner is unable to read the qr code whose background colour is change from black to white (reversal one).

Seems odd. Weโ€™re just using the regular Scandit scanner

The white one is not in standard QR code format - https://www.keyence.com/ss/products/auto_id/barcode_lecture/basic_2d/qr/index.jsp

As @tsuji_koichi says, its using inverted colours

My guess its reading the black bits rather than the white bits. Hence its returning completely the wrong characters

Simon@1minManager.com

Thank you for the responses. So for scanning is there a way to select an alternative scanner when I load up the form? I have installed a scanner which seems to scan both versions consistently.

@MauriceWhelan - as you can see from this article, it appears that your grey QR is not only grey, but also has colors โ€œinvertedโ€, which may cause many barcode readers to fail. Use at your own risk.

Thank you for the heads up @Mike

Hi @MauriceWhelan, Iโ€™m curious where is the inverted QR coming from? Are you printing it yourself?

Hi @Gil. No we are not printing them. We have been given them by a customer who we are processing product for. Not sure who supplied them with the codes.

and from what I can tellโ€ฆ if \they watch the contrast ratio, you can still use Grey โ€ฆ just not the inverted patternโ€ฆ

@MauriceWhelan, Iโ€™ve added support for inverted qr codes.
It will be included in the next PlayStore/AppStore update.

Thank you @Gil. Could you advise on a time frame for the next update?

iOS should get an update soon (maybe a week or 2). Android would probably take a bit longer then that.

Thank you

Top Labels in this Space