Validating ID photo

Hello,

Users are supposed to take photos of ID cards/passports through the App and I would like to know whether there is a way to check if the photo is readable and notify the user whether the photo is valid. Can this be done with Appsheet’s OCR or even with an external API through AppSheet?

Also, I’d like to know about best practices security and privacy-wise that I could implement in the app to handle such information please.

Thanks much!

0 7 149
7 REPLIES 7

A few things here that might help. Appsheet can use OCR to read a photo and transpose it into columns

A simpler option, is if the document in question has a bar code or QR code then scan that instead.

But in terms of being able to look at a photo and see if its an ID card vs say a photo of a tyre, then Appsheet can’t do that

Simon@1minManager.com

Thanks for your reply!

The user has to manually fill in few ID fields so there is no need for the app to read/scan the ID card information.

Also because of the complexity involved (unknown formats, different countries) OCR training will be very difficult and unreliable.

What I need is just to make sure a human-readable photo is captured, not highly out of focus for example or too dark to be distinguishable.

There are APIs that offer exactly this, where you send a formatted request to the service with a link to the photo and receive a JSON response. I just need to know how to integrate such API in my app and whether someone had done something similar before.

Also, I’ve been reading Appsheet API’s docs and I’m confused by notions like: “either Inbound or Outbound” and “if you send an Outbound request you can not have a response!”, which left me wondering what API support in AppSheet even means.

Thanks all for your precious help!

External API support is just for “send this and forget about it”. It doesn’t get the response from the server.

I was playing with Scandit and it’s demo app and one of the options is for ID card scan. I was surprised that It read the thing eventhough I’m from Chile and it extracted the info from the ID.
Not sure if that could be a solution, but maybe…

Thank you Oscar.

I’ve seen very few ID cards having barcodes and I’ve never seen a passport with one. Additionally, the requirement is to have a human-readable photo stored for future reference, the photo itself, recto verso, rather than digitally extracting the information on it.

This doesn’t read bardcode, reads the info from the ID card with OCR but no matter the ID country.

There may be a lot of feature requests about it

¡Gracias Oscar!

Dear all,

Do you think having the ability to receive a response for an outbound API request, would be a valid candidate for a new Feature Request? For experienced members with knowledge about AppSheet’s internals, do you think there’s a chance to have such feature made available?

Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space