August 6, 2021

lizlynch
Staff

Release notes: August 6, 2021

Deployment Time: 11:53 AM PST

Features & enhancements

Item Description
Feature Update card styles in Card view to have borders and hover effects

The styles in a Card view have been enhanced to have borders and hover effects.

For new apps, this update will be available automatically. For existing apps, to activate the new styles change the view to a different view type, then back to Card. Apps created after this change should have the new styles.

Feature Improved performance when downloading usage data in CSV format

Downloading usage data in CSV format will now be faster.

Feature Improve slice expression resetting

When configuring a table slice, the Row filter condition field now has an x button to enable you easily reset the expression.

Bug fixes

Item Description
Bug Fix CSV export when LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW is used

When CSV Export was performed using a LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW and the filter expression specified a boolean function such as IN, the filter was ignored and all rows were returned. The boolean function is now honored and only those rows that match the filter expression are included in the exported CSV file.

Bug Disable data actions in processes without input table

A bug was fixed that allowed creating data actions steps in processes without an associated table. This would also enable the Create new action button in the side panel, which did not appear to have any effect, but would actually create an action.

Preview announcements

The AppSheet Preview program lets app creators try out new app features that are not yet fully supported. Learn how to participate in the AppSheet preview program for app client features.

• No new preview features were released today.

What's currently available in the Preview program?

Item Description
Feature Table view

Table View now supports freezing the first column while scrolling horizontally. For details, see Freezing the first Column of a Table View - in Preview Program.

Feature Chart Editor

App Creators can now make use of our new chart editor and the new and improved charts it can create. Learn more.

2 13 618
13 Comments
Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

This is going to be breaking the existing card view configulation… We need to set them up again to maintain the same config, like grouping, text location, actions etc, which will be taking amount of time. I wish to let Appsheet automatically convert the style to new one without works by the app creators.

@Takuya_Miyai

@Arthur_Rallu

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

I tested quickly. I m on a feel that “download billing data” to CSV action is getting faster as welll as CSV files for usage data.

Lucinda_Mason
Silver 5
Silver 5

Yes, I had to reconfigure the card layout. It forgot everything. That is not a good way to have existing apps update.

Lucinda_Mason
Silver 5
Silver 5

@Liz_Lynch Can you please fix this problem? I can’t believe it exists. At least let us set an action when someone clicks on the Text overlay if it does not automatically do the OnClick of the photo.

Thanks for looking at this. I cannot use the card view I want without the problem being fixed. Users would be frustrated whenever they click on the text, which would be the normal reaction.

lizlynch
Staff

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. I passed the problem details on to the development team.
Apologies for the inconvenience!

Liz

Could somebody please attach a screenshot with the changes mentioned? I see absolutely no difference even after changing the view to a different view type and then going back to Card. Is it related to a web / Androind / IOS version? Thanks

Amy

Apologies for not going into detail in the post! Here is a screenshot of the changes:
You should now see cards with a border and hover effect on all cards except: when on a smaller screen with the Layout set to List

Previously the border and hover effect were only applied to cards on wider/desktop screens. It’s possible that you see no changes to your app if you are using the List layout or only using the app on wide/desktop screens.

Fabian_Weller
Gold 1
Gold 1

@Liz_Lynch @Amy the new card style seems to break the way related inline views are presented.
I have a card view with a table inline view.

Before
3X_7_8_78fe987f94873f0c65887df20d0595b754dd2e2a.png

Now
3X_8_7_8728a881857f173278e5e786afcfeea5dee984fa.png

It looks as if the Table’s Column width changed from Default to Narrow. But this is not the case. It is still Default. It’s even the same when I change it to WIde.

@WillowMobileSystems have you see the same?

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

I don’t think it has ever worked. Support of Nested tables has been a long standing issue, in both Card views and Deck views. I have been seeing the column width issues for a while now and have opened issues on them.

Nested Tables are a great feature. It needs to stay but it needs attention to get things to work correctly - column widths, row select navigation and a few other tidbits.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Card view stays buggy by nature…

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

agree

It took me a while to find any changes whatsoever. It turns out that you won’t see any updated card styles if your app is using a dark theme

Amy

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for letting me know!