Staff

Deployment Time: 2:00 PM PST

Features & enhancements

None

Bug fixes

None

Rollout changes

Item Description
Enhancement For desktop UI (preview), there is an update to detail views. For some backgrounds, we wanted to follow UX best practices around legibility for out-of-the-box detail views, and also provide some consistency and better alignment with detail views that are organized with SHOW type columns.

There are two main changes:

1. New non-card header - in a detail view if there are headers, a header image, or prominent actions specified and useCardLayout is not toggled.
    For example:
    lizlynch_0-1677537110024.png
  2. Multi-columns + cards if view width > 768px
    (Previously this was only enabled if SHOW type headers were present)
    • Actions, headers, and header image are in the "header column"
    • Ref lists break into their own cards

For example:

lizlynch_1-1676990244175.png

If you have any comments on these changes, please let us know!

New: Deployed to 100% of free users and 25% paid users.
Previous: Deployed to 100% of free users.

Preview announcements

Preview feature releases enable you to try out new app features that are not yet fully supported. See Product launch stages.

• No new preview features were released today.

What's currently available in Preview?

The following tables summarize the preview features that are currently available.

Item Description
Feature AppSheet databases (Preview)

The new AppSheet database feature is now in preview release. An AppSheet database is a first-party, native data source for organizing and managing data powering AppSheet apps. An AppSheet database provides an easy and efficient way to build data models for any AppSheet app without needing to use an external data source solution such as cloud-based spreadsheets or databases.

For more information, see:

Enhancement Navigation improvements in AppSheet app editor (Preview)

The app editor includes navigation improvements, currently in preview, to facilitate the configuration of specific features. For example, the new Settings section in the left navigation gathers together all app-wide settings and makes it more intuitive for all app creators to find these types of settings.

Enhancement Additional usability improvements in AppSheet app editor (Preview)

The app editor includes navigation and app setting improvements, currently in preview, to facilitate the configuration of specific features. The navigation improvements now include a secondary navigation panel that lets you quickly scan all of your components. In addition, there are more direct links in your View component to the table, column, or action that you want to check or edit. Finally, error and warning messages are more prominently displayed in the app.

Feature AppSheet apps for desktop users (Preview)

The new desktop design, currently in preview, is optimized for desktop browsers, presenting a more complete view of information with a consistent organization and structure. The new desktop design lets users navigate their apps more easily and access information in context, and provides an efficient way to edit existing records without losing context. The legacy desktop design, enabled by default, provides an experience similar to the mobile and tablet device.

The following features require opt-in to the AppSheet preview program. The AppSheet Preview program lets app creators try out new app features that are not yet fully supported.

Item Description
Feature Chat apps with AppSheet (Preview)

Create and publish Chat apps using AppSheet. Chat apps are web applications or services that run in Google Chat. By creating a Chat app with AppSheet, you enable users to interact directly with your app in Google Chat rather than clicking out to view the AppSheet app in a separate window.

See:

Feature Table view

Table View now supports freezing the first column while scrolling horizontally. For details, see Freezing the first Column of a Table View - in Preview Program.

Feature Chart Editor

App Creators can now make use of our new chart editor and the new and improved charts it can create. Learn more.

Feature Detail views

Rich text formatting is now available in Detail views. For details, see this announcement in the community.

1 9 338
Authors
9 Comments
Henrique_Vieir2
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

@lizlynch It is possible to disable the cards on the detail view (desktop mode)? Some of my apps layout breaks with the ref-lists breakdown. 😞

Jonathon
Silver 5
Silver 5

We really need to be able to chose when to display the dynamic card layout.

The optimal layout for a single column is much different than in this tiled layout. I am also getting complaints from clients.

amyplin
Staff

@Henrique_Vieir2 @Jonathon We hear you and are working on potential solutions for this! Could you send me some screenshots of your Detail Views so I can better understand your use cases? Feel free to send me a direct message if needed, thanks! 

yasuhiro
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Oh my gods!

" 2. Multi-columns + cards if view width" has turned one-sixth of the screen into dead space!😭  So the screen felt very narrow...

But I think good idea for fixation of the header. We look forward to further enhancement😁

Henrique_Vieir2
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

@amyplin Thanks! For some reason I can't send DM and due to sensitive data I can't post here. Is there any other way for me to send you the reference images? If I censor all the data, it's hard to understand the problem. In this case is just a personal app.image.png

Henrique_Vieir2
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Any update on being possible to disable the the card/block breakdown?

hien_nguyen
Silver 2
Silver 2

Hi @lizlynch ,

The new update packed April 20th, 2023 has many problems with action:

1. Action set values to rows show error: Action Failed: Some columns: This entry is required although This action is unstable on the mobile app and on the last version.

2. I can not call Action Data Execute an action on event form or automation when I add or edit form in private form while I change this action the group sequences action runs stable.

Please fix these bugs asap.

amyplin
Staff

@hien_nguyen hello! Could you provide some steps to reproduce these bugs you're seeing? Feel free to send me a direct message with your app information if you would like me to take a look at your app!

Thanks!

hien_nguyen
Silver 2
Silver 2

Hi @amyplin ,

After the new update on April 20th,

All my apps have the same problem with action Data execute setting on even action of form view with an error message:
"Action Failed:
Bộ phận: This entry Data of one column is required."

--> In This column I set the formula as App formula so it no need to fill in data here. If I change the view to legacy desktop or mobile view, It is run ok but if I preview desktop mode an error appears as above.

More information:

• Action 1: Set the value to the column of the parent table or Add a new row to another table
  • Action: Data execute an action from the child table to call action 1.

I have all users have the same problem like me.

Please help me check this bugs asap.

Thanks