June 15, 2023

lizlynch
Staff

Deployment Time: 1:00 PM PST

Features & enhancements

Item Description
Enhancement AppSheet types respect multi-color formatting icons

Previously, across all types, AppSheet would only allow a single color to apply to all icons rendered by format rules. Now, AppSheet the color granularity as defined within each formatting rule so each icon can have its own color.

With this change, for desktop UI (preview) only all types will now respect individually colored icons.

This enhancement will be rolled out gradually. It is currently deployed to 50% of free users. 

Bug fixes

Item Description
Bug Fixed an issue with syntax highlighting when there were 4-byte UTF-16 characters used in the expression, as reported in the community.

Rollout changes

Item Description
Enhancement Limited security filter support in Quick sync (Preview)

Simple security filters that rely on row-scoped calculations (such as value comparisons) or user settings are supported for use with Quick sync. More complex security filters, for example those that rely on values from referenced tables, virtual columns, and other data outside the scope of the row, are not currently supported.

See:

New: Deployed to 100% of free users and 50% of paid users.
Previous: Deployed to 100% of free users and 25% of paid users.

Feature Email auto-completion is now supported for Email columns

Set up email auto-completion for Email columns in your app and the database editor.

Email auto-completion in your app is only available to app users in the same Google Workspace organization as the app owner. See Set up email auto-completion for Email columns.

Note: Email auto-completion is only available to Google Workspace users in the same Google Workspace organization as the app owner.

New: Deployed to 20% of all Google Workspace organizations.
Previous: Deployed to 10% of all Google Workspace organizations.

Bug Fix "Reset on edit" for virtual columns

Removes any Reset on edit behavior for virtual columns because it creates odd behavior in the client. Since it's supposed to be impossible for this to happen, because we don't allow the app creator to enable Reset on edit for virtual columns, this change should only affect the corrupted apps.

New: Deployed to 100% of free users and 75% paid users.
Previous: Deployed to 100% of free users and 50% paid users.

Preview announcements

Preview feature releases enable you to try out new app features that are not yet fully supported. See Product launch stages.

• No new preview features were released today.

What's currently available in Preview?

The following tables summarize the preview features that are currently available.

Item Description
Feature AppSheet databases (Preview)

The new AppSheet database feature is now in preview release. An AppSheet database is a first-party, native data source for organizing and managing data powering AppSheet apps. An AppSheet database provides an easy and efficient way to build data models for any AppSheet app without needing to use an external data source solution such as cloud-based spreadsheets or databases.

For more information, see:

Feature Quick sync is now available to all users in preview

Turn on Quick Sync for an app to instantly see other users' changes as they are saved. For more information, see:

Enhancement Navigation improvements in AppSheet app editor (Preview)

The app editor includes navigation improvements, currently in preview, to facilitate the configuration of specific features. For example, the new Settings section in the left navigation gathers together all app-wide settings and makes it more intuitive for all app creators to find these types of settings.

Enhancement Additional usability improvements in AppSheet app editor (Preview)

The app editor includes navigation and app setting improvements, currently in preview, to facilitate the configuration of specific features. The navigation improvements now include a secondary navigation panel that lets you quickly scan all of your components. In addition, there are more direct links in your View component to the table, column, or action that you want to check or edit. Finally, error and warning messages are more prominently displayed in the app.

Feature AppSheet apps for desktop users (Preview)

The new desktop design, currently in preview, is optimized for desktop browsers, presenting a more complete view of information with a consistent organization and structure. The new desktop design lets users navigate their apps more easily and access information in context, and provides an efficient way to edit existing records without losing context. The legacy desktop design, enabled by default, provides an experience similar to the mobile and tablet device.

The following features require opt-in to the AppSheet preview program. The AppSheet Preview program lets app creators try out new app features that are not yet fully supported.

Item Description
Feature Table view

Table View now supports freezing the first column while scrolling horizontally. For details, see Freezing the first Column of a Table View - in Preview Program.

Feature Chart Editor

App Creators can now make use of our new chart editor and the new and improved charts it can create. Learn more.

Feature Detail views

Rich text formatting is now available in Detail views. For details, see this announcement in the community.

3 24 1,227
Authors
24 Comments
Ryan_Wagner
Silver 2
Silver 2

I'm hoping the 100% paid release of Quick Sync is not far off...still not active on mine...Things seem to be moving quickly, though. Thanks to the team.

Jonathon
Silver 5
Silver 5

@lizlynch wrote:

Previously, across all types, AppSheet would only allow a single color to apply to all icons rendered by format rules. Now, AppSheet the color granularity as defined within each formatting rule so each icon can have its own color. With this change, all types will now respect individually colored icons.

This is such a huge improvement.

okutani_hayato
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

@lizlynch 

Deployment Time: 1:00 PM PSTFeatures & enhancements

ItemDescription
EnhancementAppSheet types respect multi-color formatting icons

Previously, across all types, AppSheet would only allow a single color to apply to all icons rendered by format rules. Now, AppSheet the color granularity as defined within each formatting rule so each icon can have its own color. With this change, all types will now respect individually colored icons.

I don't understand what this change means.
Could you explain a little more?

Jonathon
Silver 5
Silver 5

Previously, if you had multiple icons and you wanted to format them each with their own color, the icons had to be attached to different columns. In many cases this is fine, but if you wanted to nest several icons close together with different colors the only option was to use several virtual columns, resulting in an ugly amount of padding around the icons and other annoyances like being able to resize the columns..

okutani_hayato
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

@Jonathon 

Thank you. Is it correct to recognize that it is now possible to set icons with different colors in one row?

Denzil_Snyman
Silver 2
Silver 2

I have this on deck view and detail view which has two icons display on one field, I accepted that the leading one always forced that colour on the entire row. And when the one falls away the other icon showed it's own correct colour, so in my case both showed the primary one colour if there were two icons, when an icon sat on its own then it showed the correct colour. For me I checked this morning and don't see any change in behaviour. Screenshot below:

Folder Icon colour is leading and correct alone. 

Screenshot_20230616_141144_x1Trackmaster.x1Trackmaster_edit_43616311159489.jpg

Maintenance Icon colour is leading and correct alone. 

Screenshot_20230616_141134_x1Trackmaster.x1Trackmaster_edit_43603878649074.jpg

Together only leading icons formatting took control of both icons. 

Screenshot_20230616_141155_x1Trackmaster.x1Trackmaster_edit_43630933749070.jpg

dbaum
Gold 4
Gold 4

I observe the same as @Denzil_Snyman.

dbaum_0-1686919581810.png

dbaum_1-1686919663361.png

lizlynch
Staff

@dbaum @Denzil_Snyman - Apologies! I didn't realize that the enhancement was being rolled out gradually. This is now reflected in the release notes. It's deployed to 50% of free users and will rollout to 100% free users today.

Ryan_Wagner
Silver 2
Silver 2

@lizlynch Any timeline on the full paid release of Quick Sync with security filter support? 

Denzil_Snyman
Silver 2
Silver 2

@lizlynch Thanks for the prompt response, please put a request for paid users or perhaps allow a white list of paid users whom are willing to opt in to test these enhancements right from the initial release. 

lizlynch
Staff

@Ryan_Wagner targeting full deployment sometime today.

@Denzil_Snyman - I'll pass this along. I expect it will be deployed to paid users soon.

Ryan_Wagner
Silver 2
Silver 2

@lizlynch Can't wait, thanks. Hopefully you or someone else will be able to let us know...

lizlynch
Staff

@Ryan_Wagner - It should be at 100% now. Enjoy! 🙂

ARogers1
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

AppSheet types respect multi-color formatting icons

This does seem nice...but...

Several of my already deployed apps make use of the old functionality. Multiple format rules for multiple icons with undefined colors that ALL "inherit" the appropriate color from ONE format rule per color...not one per color per icon

Now those icons are NOT colored/are black/default within the app and not relaying the desired information or consistent experience for my users.

The solution is to now make MANY more format rules than was previously required to maintain the same experience.

I wonder if an UNDEFINED highlight/text color could still have the old functionality?

ARogers1
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Additionally icons that used to intelligently change to white with the text as part of a detail view header column with a picture are now black. Needing still more (context based?) formatting rules.

: (: (

AyanAnchalia
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

@lizlynch HI. I have the similar issue where two icons show the same color even when the rules are for a different color. BUT curiously, the problem is not there in Detailed view and the Original table views. 

So, the problem is present only in Card View of Slices of main table. In the detailed view for the slices and even in the Table view on the Main table itself, this is working just fine. 

Any idea? I believe the feature has already been rolled out fully by now.

Refer my question here 
https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Format-rules-acting-weird-on-Slices/m-p/615448 

Denzil_Snyman
Silver 2
Silver 2

On detailed view and card view I get this same issue, same colour and when two icons present, individually they have correct colours. 

16902870718267425215693807329189.jpg

16902872457414587983820219303936.jpg

victsei
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Is this actually rolled out for free users? I've formatted 2 icons with different colors but they show up with the same color

Denzil_Snyman
Silver 2
Silver 2

I gave up asking, it works on Desktop as two different colours but on mobile it remains the primary icons colour. 

lizlynch
Staff

@victsei @Denzil_Snyman - Checking in with the team regarding this behavior. Will keep you posted!

Denzil_Snyman
Silver 2
Silver 2
lizlynch
Staff

@Denzil_Snyman Thank you! I'll update the remainder of the notes to make sure I've included the note about it applying to desktop UI only (for now). Apologies for the confusion! 

victsei
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

For me it won't work neither in the desktop nor in the mobile UI

lizlynch
Staff

@victsei - In that case, please definitely file a support ticket so the team can look into this for you! It should work on the desktop UI (preview).