October 6, 2022

lizlynch
Staff

Deployment Time: 12:14 PM PST

Features & enhancements

None

Bug fixes

Item Description
Bug For the desktop UI (preview), we now allow horizontal scrolling for inline card views with layout types Large, Backdrop, and Photo.
Bug For the desktop UI (preview), add infinite vertical scrolling to inline views: deck, table, and card - list layout type, and infinite horizontal scrolling to gallery inline views.

Rollout changes

Item Description
Bug

Table view Quick Edit calendar icon for Date, DateTime, and Time types does not pop up on non-mobile device. This issue has been fixed.
lizlynch_0-1665092609564.png
New: Deployed to 100% of free users and 75% of paid users
Previous: Deployed to 100% of free users and 50% of paid users

Enhancement Navigation improvements in AppSheet app editor (Preview)

The app editor includes navigation improvements, currently in preview, to facilitate the configuration of specific features. For example, the new Settings section in the left navigation gathers together all app-wide settings and makes it more intuitive for all app creators to find these types of settings.

For more information, see:

New: Deployed to 100% of free users
Previous: Deployed to 50% of free users

Enhancement Create a slice when configuring a view

You can now create a slice when you are configuring a view and select from a list of suggestions that align with the current context.

New: Deployed to 100% of free users
Previous: Deployed to 50% of free users

Preview announcements

Preview feature releases enable you to try out new app features that are not yet fully supported. See Product launch stages.

• No new preview features were released today.

What's currently available in Preview?

The following tables summarize the preview features that are currently available.

Item Description
Feature AppSheet databases (Preview)

The new AppSheet database feature is now in preview release. An AppSheet database is a first-party, native data source for organizing and managing data powering AppSheet apps. An AppSheet database provides an easy and efficient way to build data models for any AppSheet app without needing to use an external data source solution such as cloud-based spreadsheets or databases.

Enhancement Navigation improvements in AppSheet app editor (Preview)

The app editor includes navigation improvements, currently in preview, to facilitate the configuration of specific features. For example, the new Settings section in the left navigation gathers together all app-wide settings and makes it more intuitive for all app creators to find these types of settings.

Feature AppSheet apps for desktop users (Preview)

The new desktop design, currently in preview, is optimized for desktop browsers, presenting a more complete view of information with a consistent organization and structure. The new desktop design lets users navigate their apps more easily and access information in context, and provides an efficient way to edit existing records without losing context. The legacy desktop design, enabled by default, provides an experience similar to the mobile and tablet device.

The following features require opt-in to the AppSheet preview program. The AppSheet Preview program lets app creators try out new app features that are not yet fully supported.

Item Description
Feature Table view

Table View now supports freezing the first column while scrolling horizontally. For details, see Freezing the first Column of a Table View - in Preview Program.

Feature Chart Editor

App Creators can now make use of our new chart editor and the new and improved charts it can create. Learn more.

Feature Detail views

Rich text formatting is now available in Detail views. For details, see this announcement in the community.

3 10 336
Authors
10 Comments
rentsmdi
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

"For the desktop UI (preview), we now allow horizontal scrolling for inline card views with layout types Large, Backdrop, and Photo."

This completely broke all my applications. They now display a single card, with horrible horizontal scrolling and all vertical space completely empty. Please, make it an option that can be toggled

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Please please do not drop the update for the upcoming new UX for desktop stuffs right here, as they are preview ones.

AppSheet (Google) has been asking to post the request and the bug report in the specifict post, i.e. the new release annoucement, so that we can track what is happening and what is corrected.

For me, it is not completely making any sense why you are posting the correction and revision to the preview features right here, although it is useufl.

However, your statement is not self-explanatory, so nobody will understand what was a problem and then how and why those issues are rectified.

Your effort is getting meaningless, so you have to consider how to report and announce to the community members in a right way so that your daily efforts are appreciated by all of us.

Yes, I appereciate your efforts all the time. However it is not deliered to us, as they are quite ilogical.

amyplin
Staff

@rentsmdi Hello, I'd like to take a look at your app to see how the horizontal scrolling affected your inline card views! For some reason I can't send you a direct message, so feel free to message me your App Name and enable support if you are okay with me taking a look, thanks!

rentsmdi
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

@amyplin thank you for your reply! I disabled desktop mode because it was unusable, but I took some screenshots. You can see that the horizontal scrolling is useless because there's space at the bottom of the first card. Also it's now showing an horizontal scrollbar in dashboards with single cards

image_2022-10-18_111733824.png

rentsmdi
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

@amyplin here's the comparison with desktop mode disabled

image_2022-10-18_111954920.png

Luke_H
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

@amyplin   @rentsmdi 

I would love to know if there is any way to get vertical scrolling back with card views or at least have that as an option. Major issue for us as well. Vertical not only doesn't help us but it doesn't even work right, only showing 3 of 12 items when I go to scroll. Please give the option to turn it on or off in desktop view. 

amyplin
Staff

@Luke_H thanks for flagging this, we'll have some more discussion internally about potentially having an option for horizontal vs vertical scrolling. I'd like to dig into why you're only seeing 3 out of 12 items, could you go ahead and send me a private message with your app name and enable support so I can take a look?

Thanks!

aneville
Silver 1
Silver 1

@amyplin

Was any progress ever made on re-enabling vertical scrolling on inline Card view?  Card view works great (w/ vertical scrolling) if used by itself, but when used inline, its pretty awful with the forced horizontal scrolling.

@rentsmdi @Luke_H 

amyplin
Staff

We unfortunately have been busy with other features/ bugs and haven't gotten to this yet. Can you provide a screenshot or video of the inline view in your app so I can get a better understanding of your use case? And can you let me know what type of Card Layout you're using for the inline view?

aneville
Silver 1
Silver 1

Absolutely @amyplin .  Sending you a DM with additional information.