Are you in need of embedding videos in your app? Receiving an error? Give the following a try:
What is video embedding?
Video embedding allows you to take a link from an external source, such as youtube, and embed it into your data to view on your app. This is different from sites like youtube and Vimeo that allow you to upload your video content directly to their server. Currently, AppSheet only supports the embedding of videos.
Where do I set up video embedding?
The ability to embed your videos in your app is done by ensuring your data is correctly set up to accommodate and display videos with the right column types. We’ll walk you through the process of how to do this below.
- To find the portion of your data where you’ll need to make adjustments for video editing, open your app editor by selecting the app you’d like to work on.
- The navigation bar on the left side displays a tab titled “Data." Click this tab.
- Once you’re in the data tab you’ll find a navigation bar along the top of your editor. The second tab is the “Columns” section. Click this tab.
- Once you’re in this tab you’ll see a list of tables. Select the table you would like to have associated with video embedding.
- From here, select the data column that you would like to contain the embedded video links and confirm that the column type is set to videos.
- To see video embedding in action, here’s a sample app to review.
- Here’s a quick additional read if you’d like a bit more info.
- If you don’t already have a column reserved for your video in your original data source, you’ll need to add a new column first and then adjust its column type to the correct field in your app editor. Adding a new column may ask you to also regenerate your data (learn more about regenerating data which is absolutely ok.
- Setting up the ability to embed videos is similar to working with photos in your data. You can learn a bit more about the structuring your data for the photo feature here.
Try adding this feature to your app now and let us know how video embedding works for you.
Happy app building!