Validating ID photo

Hello,

Users are supposed to take photos of ID cards/passports through the App and I would like to know whether there is a way to check if the photo is readable and notify the user whether the photo is valid. Can this be done with Appsheetโ€™s OCR or even with an external API through AppSheet?

Also, Iโ€™d like to know about best practices security and privacy-wise that I could implement in the app to handle such information please.

Thanks much!

0 7 142
7 REPLIES 7

A few things here that might help. Appsheet can use OCR to read a photo and transpose it into columns

A simpler option, is if the document in question has a bar code or QR code then scan that instead.

But in terms of being able to look at a photo and see if its an ID card vs say a photo of a tyre, then Appsheet canโ€™t do that

Simon@1minManager.com

Thanks for your reply!

The user has to manually fill in few ID fields so there is no need for the app to read/scan the ID card information.

Also because of the complexity involved (unknown formats, different countries) OCR training will be very difficult and unreliable.

What I need is just to make sure a human-readable photo is captured, not highly out of focus for example or too dark to be distinguishable.

There are APIs that offer exactly this, where you send a formatted request to the service with a link to the photo and receive a JSON response. I just need to know how to integrate such API in my app and whether someone had done something similar before.

Also, Iโ€™ve been reading Appsheet APIโ€™s docs and Iโ€™m confused by notions like: โ€œeither Inbound or Outboundโ€ and โ€œif you send an Outbound request you can not have a response!โ€, which left me wondering what API support in AppSheet even means.

Thanks all for your precious help!

External API support is just for โ€œsend this and forget about itโ€. It doesnโ€™t get the response from the server.

I was playing with Scandit and itโ€™s demo app and one of the options is for ID card scan. I was surprised that It read the thing eventhough Iโ€™m from Chile and it extracted the info from the ID.
Not sure if that could be a solution, but maybeโ€ฆ

Thank you Oscar.

Iโ€™ve seen very few ID cards having barcodes and Iโ€™ve never seen a passport with one. Additionally, the requirement is to have a human-readable photo stored for future reference, the photo itself, recto verso, rather than digitally extracting the information on it.

This doesnโ€™t read bardcode, reads the info from the ID card with OCR but no matter the ID country.

There may be a lot of feature requests about it

ยกGracias Oscar!

Dear all,

Do you think having the ability to receive a response for an outbound API request, would be a valid candidate for a new Feature Request? For experienced members with knowledge about AppSheetโ€™s internals, do you think thereโ€™s a chance to have such feature made available?

Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space