August 24, 2021

Release notes: August 24, 2021

Deployment Time: 1:52 PM PST

Features & enhancements

Item Description
Feature Error banner on version conflict to prevent app creators from making changes that will be lost

Currently if you have multiple tabs open with the different app versions and you make edits to a stale version, you will lose the changes and get a versioning error. This change will let app creators know in advance that the loaded version is not the latest, allowing them to refresh before making changes that would normally be lost on Save.

Deployed to 30% of free users.

Enhancement Period (.) characters can now appear in app names

This change allows app names to include periods, such as Version 2.0.

Enhancement Implemented visual updates to Gallery view

They include visual changes to the app; no editor changes. For information, see this community post.

Enhancement Implemented visual updates for in-app filtering

For in-app filtering, the button to open the Filters drawer has been moved to the left of the chip bar for easier access and the styles of the filter chips have been updated. On wider screens/desktops, if the filter chips overflow, hovering over the chip bar shows right/left arrow buttons that will scroll to the end of the container when clicked.

Bug fixes

Item Description
Bug Fixed issues with line breaks on a tablet, as identified in this community post.
Bug Fixed issue that caused scrolling issues when there were many data sources to select from.

Rollout changes

Item Description
Feature Table view shows header for column types Color, Progress, and Yes/No

New: Deployed to 100% free users and 30% premium users.
Previous: Deployed to 100% free users.

Preview announcements

The AppSheet Preview program lets app creators try out new app features that are not yet fully supported. Learn how to participate in the AppSheet preview program for app client features.

• No new preview features were released today.

What's currently available in the Preview program?

Item Description
Feature Table view

Table View now supports freezing the first column while scrolling horizontally. For details, see Freezing the first Column of a Table View - in Preview Program.

Feature Chart Editor

App Creators can now make use of our new chart editor and the new and improved charts it can create. Learn more.

Feature Detail views

Rich text formatting is now available in Detail views. For details, see this announcement in the community.

2 Likes

As I posted my opinion in different thread, I prefer old stylling.

Any screenshot, please?

1 Like

Hooray!!!

5 Likes

Sorry, what does it mean?

Sometime, if you are not enough rigorous, you start making changes on a new window of your editor.
Then you save it.
And you close it.

But…you had another window open.
Then you keep working on this older one, forgetting it was not the one you were working before.
And you save your changes (at least, you try).
And you have a message saying “a newer version of your app already exists, we try to save it as version 0.011 but you yet have a 0.011 , please cancel your change and refresh your editor”, or something similar.

Nightmare :rofl:

The banner saying “stop, there is already a newer version” is very welcome

6 Likes

I know it happens sometime, not sure the new said feature is about it. Need further clarification from Google.

Hi Koichi,

Just to clarify, the feature is exactly what @Aurelien describes. Basically we want to give the editors a heads up to let them know a new version already exists rather than allowing them to make updates to a stale version which will then result in an error and lost changes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When that notification is going to be given? On saving app change? Then it is same story as we have now.

I’m also more interested in why the newer version is there while we have only single app creator against that app. I’m only one person working on the app, and not opening any other browser for this app to edit, but we frequently see this error to make out all the effort (change) null and void.

That’s super annoying as you imagine.

1 Like

In the editor we will check to see if the version of the app loaded is lower than the latest version you have saved. If it is, it will show the banner and you won’t even be able to make edits (the Save button will be disabled).

Say you have two tabs, both with version 1.01. At some point you make changes to tab 1 (which now has version 1.02), and then you click on tab 2 (which still has 1.01) – then you’ll see the banner, previous to making any new changes to the stale version that tab 2 has loaded.

Hopefully this banner is also helpful for what you describe since the editor will be polling to check if the loaded version is the latest.

4 Likes

Here is a screenshot of the changes:

1. The “All filters” button is now on the left side of the chip bar
  2. On wider screens/desktops, if the chip bar is scrollable, hovering over the chip bar shows arrow buttons that will scroll to the end of the chip bar when clicked.

11 Likes

thank you @Amy for sharing screenshot, which is self-explanatory to see what we expect to have nice ones.

1 Like

Thank you @macastan for additional explanation!

2 Likes

I guess there is a bug in this. I too often see this message even if doesn’t have many tabs open or any user using the app and closing the browser and reopening it.

Once in 3 times when I save, I see this banner. I have to recheck all the changes I have made are being saved properly or not after reopening the app. Kindly have a look. @Liz_Lynch

2 Likes

Apologies for the inconvenience. I am passing this feedback on to the dev team!

Thank you for reporting the issue!
Liz

1 Like

Rifad, thanks for letting us know! Looks like there’s something we need to look into. Are you able to provide some more information about how this is happening? Or do you have some steps to help us reproduce to the issue?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

We think we have a fix and will try to get it out to you in the next few days-- thanks again for bringing this up!

4 Likes